This is the most common issue we see because there are a host of different reasons why this can happen. Because of that, this article is fairly long, but don't let that put you off, as most of the steps are straightforward, and you'll be dictating in no time. If you get stuck or lost anywhere along the way, don't hesitate to reach out to us.
These steps are for troubleshooting a Mac.
If you are using a Windows PC, click here.
The first step is to determine if the waveform is moving when you speak. Look at the waveform beside Stop Dictation and determine if it is moving when you speak.
This will tell us if Talkatoo is receiving your voice from the microphone.
If the waveform is moving when you speak, click here
If the waveform is NOT moving when you speak, click here
Waveform is moving when I speak
- Verify the cursor is in a text field by clicking where you want the text, and try speaking again.
- Restart Talkatoo by clicking the 3 dots, then Quit, and relaunch Talkatoo from your desktop or Applications menu.
- Check your Security and Privacy Settings as they might be preventing Talkatoo from accessing the microphone. Click here for details
- Restart your computer.
- Ensure Talkatoo is up to date. Try reinstalling it from our website.
- Test in another application like Notes, Microsoft Word or your email.
If it works there, but not in your Practice Management Software, such as AviMark (or any other Covetrus program), Talkatoo may need to be run as an administrator to match the PMS’ security level. See this article for more information.
Waveform is not moving when I speak
- Check that the desired microphone is selected in Talkatoo (as of Version 1.6.0) by clicking the 3 dots and clicking Settings. Prior to this version, Talkatoo will always use the default microphone selected in your operating system (see step 2).
- Check that your Mac is hearing your voice.
- Click the Apple icon in the top left, and click System Preferences
- Click on Sound.
- Ensure the desired microphone is listed and selected here.
- Ensure that the Input level line is moving when you speak.
If it is not moving, this may indicate a microphone issue. Test it on another device if possible.
These steps should take care of most causes of Talkatoo not dictating. If you're still unable to dictate, please give us a call at 1-855-886-2156 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also book a support session at a time that works for you.