If your Olympus RM-4000P microphone is not registering any sounds, this is the fix.
If you experience an issue where your Olympus microphone does not detect your voice, the cause is likely out of date firmware. Luckily, updating it is simple and just takes a minute.
Note that this is not a Talkatoo issue, but rather to do with the microphone hardware not being detected. Sometimes this occurs only after Windows is put to sleep, but not always.
NOTE: While this issue does affect Mac, and there is a mac version of the firmware updater from Olympus, it currently does not appear to work on macOS versions 11 or 12, or on Macs with an M1, which means it won't work on most Macs at this time.
The best way to get around this is to follow these steps from a Windows PC
See the video below, or the written steps.
Before performing a firmware update, ensure your computer is not going to lose power suddenly. Do not unplug the microphone while updating the firmware.
- Go to https://audiosupport.omsystem.com/en/product/rm-4000p/
- Download the latest firmware (currently RecMicII v1.1.1)
- Right click on the file and choose Extract All, then Extract.
- Double click on the installer RMseries_FWUPDATE_v1111.exe
- Click Start to being the update.
That's it. It should only take a few seconds and then the microphone should now be picking up your voice.